These days women are being told that we can do it all, like have a full-time job and a side hustle. We’re told that all we need to do is “lean in” and we can achieve everything we want in work, love, and life. I constantly meet inspiring women who are actively working every day to reach their goals – I mean, really working, as in a full-time job while they hustle on the side. They make their dreams come true after hours.
Having a full-time job in New York takes way more than 40 hours of your week. The New York work week averages around 49 hours per week if you consider the commute part of the work week. And when you try to add in exercising, socializing, and maybe a few moments to yourself, finding time to pursue a side hustle can be tough.
So I’m curious. Do you have a side hustle? What does your day look like?
How I balance My Life with my Side Hustle: Thoughts on My Daily Schedule
- I am so lucky that I have a strictly-enforced 7-hour work day thanks to being a city employee. My life really changed when I stopped working in private sector, where the workday can be anywhere from 8-10 hours. The majority of my job is spent writing. By the time I get home my brain is incapable of doing any more writing for my blog, which makes me really sad.
- I help a non-profit with marketing, which also includes a lot of writing. I’ll work on that for a few hours each day, sometimes before work, but mostly once I get home and after dinner. I am so happy to be able to do this work.
- I prioritize exercise. So I take a full one-hour lunch break (which is extremely unpopular in NYC) and workout. About three times a week I’ll bike to and from work and get my cardio in that way.
- These days, my personal projects suffer a lot.
- When I took on more work, the first thing to go was television. I miss my Netflix binges.
- I struggle most with spending quality time with my partner and friends. That’s definitely what weekends are for, but I also want to have a lot of time to myself on weekends. It’s a balance.
- I have always had a side hustle. Without one I feel lost. Sometimes it’s a big personal project, like a blog, other times it’s freelance work.
Tips to Make the Most Out of Your Schedule
I know a lot of ladies out there are pushing their side hustles forward, trying to monetize them and make them successful while holding a full-time job. It’s certainly a challenge and we have to face facts: whatever pays the bills, has to come first.
Here are some tips for how I manage my schedule with my side hustle.
- Prioritize – Set a time period, like a week, and identify what is most important to you that week and prioritize it. I tend to go back and forth, between my job, my side hustle, my exercise routine, and my social life on a daily basis. Being unable to prioritize one thing over the other hurts your momentum on all fronts.
- Set a Goal – Now that you’ve identified your target, set a goal for what you want to accomplish for that week.
- Plan – Have a plan to achieve that goal. Your time is precious, so have an intention behind every minute. Schedule out what you need to do to make that plan work. That may mean scheduling out your social media posts, or scheduling an hour a day to focus on creating content.
- Keep it consistent – This is particularly important if you are trying to grow your brand. Dropping off the radar for just a few days can really hurt your growth or damage a relationship with a client.
So what about you? Do you have a side hustle? How do you balance it with your full-time job?